Professor Jonathan Crowston
BSc, MBBS, PhD, FRCOphth, FRANZCO
Head, Glaucoma Research Unit and Managing Director, CERA
Professor Jonathan Crowston is the Ringland Anderson Professor of Ophthalmology and Managing Director of the Centre for Eye Research Australia (CERA). He gained his ophthalmology training at Moorfields Eye Hospital, London and was awarded a PhD at the Institute of Ophthalmology and University College London (2000) for basic research in conjunctival wound healing. He completed a Glaucoma Fellowship at the Centre for Vision Research in Sydney, Australia, before joining the Hamilton Glaucoma Centre at University California San Diego, where he subsequently joined the faculty prior to moving to Australia in 2006..
His current research interests are focused around ageing and neuroprotection of the optic nerve. In particular the role of mitochondrial dysfunction in optic nerve vulnerability to injury. Jonathan has attracted funding the National Health and Medical Research Council (Australia), Australian Research Council and the Wellcome Trust (UK). He has published over 90 peer-reviewed manuscripts and co-authored two books.
Jonathan has received a number of prestigious awards for his research and recently gained the RANZCO College of Ophthalmologists Excellence in Teaching Award.
Other concurrent positions
- Ringland Anderson Professor of Ophthalmology and Head of Department of Ophthalmology, University of Melbourne
- Head, Glaucoma Clinic, Royal Victorian Eye & Ear Hospital
The CERA Glaucoma Research Unit focuses on molecular pharmacology and neuro-protection of the optic nerve in glaucoma. Professor Crowston's research team investigates the cellular processes related to ageing and mitochondrial dysfunction that affect the vulnerability of retinal ganglion cells to injury. This work is intended to develop new therapeutic approaches for protecting the optic nerve in glaucoma.
- 2006, Fellow, Royal Australian & New Zealand College of Ophthalmology
- 2000, PhD, Institute of Ophthalmology, University College, London
- 1994, Fellow, Royal College of Ophthalmologists, London
- 1988, MBBS, Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine, London
- 1986, BSc (Immunology), University College, London
- 2004-2006, Assistant Professor & Director, Glaucoma Basic Science Research Laboratories, Hamilton Glaucoma Centre, University of California, San Diego
- 2003-2004, Glaucoma Fellow & Clinical Instructor, Hamilton Glaucoma Centre, University of California,
- San Diego
- 2002-2003, Glaucoma Fellow, Centre for Vision Research, Sydney
- 2000-2002, Wellcome Trust Research Fellowship (PhD), Institute of Ophthalmology, London
- 1994-2000, Ophthalmology Resident, Moorfields Eye Hospital, London
- 2008-13, NHMRC Practitioner Fellowship
- 2007, RANZCO Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2005, Nancy & David Shanzlin Award, UC San Diego
- 2005, Robert N Weinreb Glaucoma Research Prize, University of California
- 2004, Pfizer Fellows Award for Excellence in Glaucoma Research, ranked 1st in USA
- 2002, Keeler Scholarship, Royal College of Ophthalmologists, UK
- 1998, Foulds Trophy, Royal College of Ophthalmologists, Annual Congress
Ophthalmology & Scientific Involvement
- 2008-09, NHMRC Grant Review Panel (Autonomic and Sensory Nervous System)
- 2008-09, ORIA Grant Review Panel
- 2008-09, Associate EVP World Glaucoma Association
- 2008, NHMRC Advisory Committee on Glaucoma
- 2007-08, Program Chair, RANZCO Organising Committee for Annual Conference 2008
– Editorial Board- International Glaucoma Reviews
– Journal of Current Glaucoma Practice
- 2005-07, Section Editor, Surgical Rounds, Glaucoma Today
- 2006, present Special Section Editor, Journal of Glaucoma
- 2006, Guest Editor, Current Eye Research
Selected publications from a total of 80 original papers and reviews, 4 book chapters & and 2 books:
- Crowston JG, Akbar AN, Constable PH, Occleston NL, Danields JT, Khaw PT. (1998) Antimetabolite-induced apoptosis in Tenon's capsule fibroblasts. Invest Ophthalmol. 39: 449-54.
- Van Bergen NJ, Wood JP, Chidlow G, Trounce IA, Weinreb RN, Ju W-K, Crowston JG (2009) Re-characterisation of the RGC-5 retinal ganglion cell line. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci in-press, April 7, 2009
- O'Neill EC, Mackey DA, Connell PP, Danesh-Meyer HV, Hewitt AW, Crowston JG, The optic nerve head in hereditary optic neuropathies-in-press, accepted Nature Reviews Neurology in-press Feb 18, 2009
- Crowston JG, Morris CA, Lindsey JD, Weinreb RN (2007) Prostaglandin FP receptors do not contribute to 24-hour IOP variation in mice. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 48: 2095-2098
- Morris CA, Crowston JG, Lindsey JD, Danias J, Weinreb RN. (2006) Comparison of the non-invasive induction-impact tonometer with invasice cannulation tonometry in the mouse. Exp Eye Res. 82 : 1094-99.
- Crowston JG, Wang XY, Khaw PT, Zoellner H, Healey PR (2006) Human serum reduces mitomycin-C cytotoxicity in human tenon's fibroblasts. Invest Opthalmol Vis Sci. 47: 946-52.
- Crowston JG, Chang LH, Constable PH, Daniels JT, Akbar AN, Khaw PT. (2002) Apoptosis gene expression and death receptor signalling in mitomycin-C-treated human Tenon capsule fibroblasts. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sc
- Crowston JG, Hopley C, Healey PR, Mitchell P. (2004) The effect of optic disc diameter on vertical cup-disc ratio percentiles in a population-based cohort: The Blue Mountains Eye Study. Br J Ophthalmol. 88: 766-70.
- Crowston JG, Aihara M, Lindsey JD, Weinreb RN. (2005) Intraocular pressure response to latanoprost in mice lacking the FP receptor. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci .45: 3555-59.
- Shaarawy, Sherwood, Hitchings & Crowston "Glaucoma". Elsevier (120 chapter, 2-volume book on glaucoma, launch April 2009, Geneva Switzerland)