Dr Jonathan Yeoh
Honorary Research Associate
Dr Jonathan Yeoh specialises in the surgical and medical treatment of retinal disease including retinal detachments, macular holes, epiretinal membranes, diabetic retinopathy, age-related macular degeneration and retinovascular disorders.
Dr Jonathan Yeoh
Honorary Research Associate
MBBS (Hons), FRANZCO
Dr Jonathan Yeoh completed medical school with first degree Honours at the University of Sydney in 1998. He trained to become an ophthalmologist at the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital, where he also completed a medical retina fellowship, followed by a fellowship in vitreoretinal surgery.
He subsequently completed his fellowship training in vitreoretinal surgery at Moorfields Eye Hospital in London. Since returning from London in 2010, Dr Yeoh has worked as a consultant Vitreoretinal Surgeon and Medical Retina Specialist at both the Royal Melbourne Hospital and the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital.
He is actively involved in the training of retinal fellows and registrars at the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital. He has delivered talks at both local and international ophthalmology conferences and remains active in both clinical and basic science research. Dr Yeoh has also been involved in the delivery of ophthalmic care and training of local retinal specialists in Burma and Fiji
His current research is focused on artificial retinal prostheses and improving visual outcomes through clinical and surgical innovation.
Key research questions
- How can Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor inhibition improve surgical outcomes in diabetic retinal surgery?
- Are ophthalmic procedures such as vitrectomy and cataract surgery aerosol generating procedures?
- Artificial retinal prostheses and improving functional vison in patients with profound visual loss
- Okada M, Sousa DC, Fabinyi DF, Allen PJ, Yeoh J, Van Wijngaarden P et al. Vitrectomy as an aerosol generating procedure in the time of COVID-19: The VAPOR study. Ophthalmology Retina Article in Press 23.07.2020
- Rocke J, Mcguinness M, Atkins W, Fry L, Kane J, Fabinyi D, Yeoh J et al. Refractive outcomes of the Yamane flanged intrascleral Haptic fixation technique. Ophthalmology 2020 Apr 3. Epub ahead of print
- Sheridan AM, Essex RW, Yeoh J, Allen P, Campbell WG, Edwards TL. Is post-operative perfluorocarbon liquid tamponade for macula-on giant retinal tear safer than silicone oil? Eye (Lond). 2018 Dec 7. doi: 10.1038/s41433-018-0287-9. [Epub ahead of print]
- Abbott CJ, Nayagam DA, Luu CD, Epp SB, Williams RA, Salinas-LaRosa CM, Villalobos J, McGowan C, Shivdasani MN, Burns O, Leavens J, Yeoh J, Brandli AA, Thien PC, Zhou J, Feng H, WilliamsCE, Shepherd RK, Allen PJ. Safety Studies for a 44-Channel. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2018 Mar 1;59(3):1410-1424. doi: 10.1167/iovs.17-23086. Suprachoroidal Retinal Prosthesis: A Chronic Passive Study
- Cheng NM1, Chandra A, Roufail E, Moodie JJ, Yeoh J, Allen PJ, Salinas-La Rosa CM, Matthews BJ. CHORIORETINAL BIOPSY FOR THE DIAGNOSIS OF ENDOGENOUS ENDOPHTHALMITIS DUE TO ESCHERICHIA COLI. Retin Cases Brief Rep. 2017 Winter;11(1):30-33. doi: 10.1097/ICB.0000000000000281.
- Fox K, Meffin H, Burns O, Abbott CJ, Allen PJ, Opie NL, McGowan C, Yeoh J, Ahnood A, Luu CD, Cicione R, Saunders AL, McPhedran M, Cardamone L, Villalobos J, Garrett DJ, Nayagam DA, Apollo NV, Ganesan K, Shivdasani MN, Stacey A, Escudie M, Lichter S, Shepherd RK, Prawer S. Development of a Magnetic Attachment Method for Bionic Eye Applications. Artif Organs. 2016 Mar;40(3):E12-24. doi: 10.1111/aor.12582. Epub 2015 Sep 29.
- Leung RT, Nayagam DA, Williams RA, Allen PJ, Salinas-La Rosa CM, Luu CD, Shivdasani MN, Ayton LN, Basa M, Yeoh J, Saunders AL, Shepherd RK, Williams CE. Safety and efficacy of explanting or replacing suprachoroidal electrode arrays in a feline model. Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2015 Apr;43(3):247-58. doi: 10.1111/ceo.12428. Epub 2014 Oct 10.
- Nayagam D, Allen PJ, Williams RA, Shivdasani M, luu CD, Finch S, Ayton L, Saunders A, Mcphedral M, Mc Gowan C, Villabos J, Fallon J, Weiss A, Yeoh J et al. Chronic Electrical Stimulation with a suprachoroidal Retinal Prosthesis: A Preclinical Safety and Efficacy Study. Plos One May 22 2014. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0097182
- Saunders A, Williams CE, Heriot W, Briggs R, Yeoh J et al. Development of a surgical procedure for implantation of a prototype suprachoroidal retinal prosthesis Clin Experimental Ophthalmol Dec 2013 (Epub ahead of print) Errera MH, Michaelides M, Keane PA, Restori M, Paques M, Moore AT, Yeoh J, Chan D, Egan CA, Patel PJ, Tufail A. The extended clinical phenotype of dome-shaped macula. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2014 Mar;252(3):499-508. doi: 10.1007/s00417-013-2561-7. Epub 2014 Jan 25.
- O’Neill EC, Yeoh J, Fabinyi DC, Cassidy D, Vajpayee RB, Allen P, Connell PP. Risk factors, microbial profiles and prognosis of microbial keratitis-associated endophthalmitis in high-risk eyes. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2014 Sep;252(9):1457-62. doi: 10.1007/s00417-014-2732-1. Epub 2014 Jul 17.
- Ahuja A, Yeoh J et al. Factors affecting perceptual threshold in Argus ™ II retinal prosthesis subjects. Accepted for publication – Transalational Vision Science and Technology
- Rahman W, Chen FK, Yeoh J, DaCruz L. Enhanced depth imaging of the choroid in patients with neovascular age-related macular degeneration treated with anti-VEGF therapy versus untreated patients. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 2012 Nov 17 (e pub ahead of print)
- Yeoh J, Rahman W, Chen FK, DaCruz L. Use of spectral domain optical coherence tomography to differentiate acquired retinoschisis from retinal detachment in difficult cases. Retina. 2012 Sep;32(8):1574-80
- Chen FK, Yeoh J, Rahman W, Patel PJ, Tufail A, DaCruz L. Topographical variation and interocular symmetry of macular choroidal thickness using enhanced depth imaging optical coherence tomography. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2012 Feb 23;53(2):975-85
- Rahman W, Chen FK, Yeoh J, DaCruz L. Repeatability of manual choroidal thickness measurements in healthy subjects using the technique of enhanced depth imaging optical coherence tomography. Invest Ophth Vis Sci. 2011 Apr 8;52(5):2267-71
- Yeoh J, Rahman W, Chen F, Hooper C, Patel P, Moore T, Webster A, Tufail A, DaCruz L. Choroidal Imaging in Inherited Retinal Disease Using the Technique of Enhanced Depth Imaging Optical Coherence Tomography. Graefe’s Arch Clinical Ophthalmol 2010Dec;248(12):1719-28
- Hooper CY, Lamoureux E, Lim L, Fraser-Bell S, Yeoh J, Harper CA, Keeffe JE, Guymer RH. Cataract surgery in high risk age related macular degeneration: a randomised controlled trial. Clin Exp 2009;37(6)570-6
- Sims JL, Yeoh J, Stawell RJ. Acute retinal necrosis: a case series with clinical features and treatment outcomes. Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2009;27(5):473-7
- Wickremasinghe S, Ling C, Stawell R, Yeoh J, Hall A, Zamir E. Syphillitic punctuate inner retinitis in immunocompetent gay men. Ophthalmology 2009;116:1195-200
- Yeoh J, Williams C, Campbell W. Avastin as an adjunct to vitrectomy in the management of severe proliferative diabetic retinopathy, a prospective case series. Clin Exp Ophthalmol 2008 Jul; 35:449-454
- Yeoh J, Sims J, Guymer R. A Review of drug options in age related macular degeneration therapy and potential new agents. Expert opin phamarcotherapy. 2006; 7: 2355-2368
Leave a direct enquiry for CERA below!
Please note: Unfortunately we are not able to provide individual medical advice over email.